New Students

Welcome to UBC Biomedical Engineering!

This guide goes over everything you should do to prepare your arrival at UBC. If you have any questions, please contact the BME Admissions office.

1. Visit the Student Service Centre (SSC)

Create your Campus-Wide Login (CWL). After logging on to the Student Services Centre, you can:

  • Register for courses
  • Review your financial information (payments are due May, September, and January)
  • Review your awards and fill in the acceptance form
  • Update your personal information

2. Register for courses

  • A list of courses that can be counted toward your BME degree can be found on our course page. Courses included in the course page may or may not be offered every year. A list of all courses offered at UBC can be found under Registration in SSC.
  • Registration / Change of Registration Form: submit to the Student Services Staff for courses that the SSC prevents you from registering in.
  • Deadlines: Course change & withdrawal dates
  • Mandatory courses: All MASc and PhD students are required to register for a thesis course all year around (both in Winter and Summer terms) until the program completion. (see Program Guide and Registration above)
  • Once you are registered, you can obtain a UBC card and U-pass from the UBC Bookstore – bring a photo ID and your student number.

3. Apply for Health Insurance (BC Medical Services Plan)

Soon after you arrive in Canada, you are required to apply for the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) by submitting the application and a copy of your visa. The MSP waiting period is 2 months, during which you will be covered by iMED (mandatory basic health insurance program).

4. Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

  • What is a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
  • A SIN is required if you expect to work on campus (e.g. as a Teaching or Research Assistant) or receive a major scholarship paid through the UBC Payroll system.
  • How to Apply: Fill in the Employment Contract Form (provided by your employer) and submit it along with the SIN application and supporting documents to a Service Canada Centre.
  • Remember that a SIN and Study Permit have expiry dates and must be renewed at least 3 months in advance. The ultimate responsibility for maintaining up-to-date documents lies with the student. Remember also that it is your responsibility to ensure that your passport remains current.

5. Research Assistantship

The majority of research graduate students (MASc and PhD) are offered an RA by their supervisors. It may be held in conjunction with a Teaching Assistantship or a scholarship. Research Assistantships are processed by the School of Biomedical Engineering. Please contact the Administration Office with any questions.

6. Teaching Assistantship

Click here to apply!

7. Apply for Awards

Find more information on BME specific awards.

8. Find Housing

Some on-campus housing is available but most students live off campus. See the UBC Housing Office for information about both types of housing.

9. International Students

For further information specific to international students visit the UBC International website.

10. Fill out supervisor agreement with supervisor

All incoming MASc and PhD students and their supervisors will be given a set of expectation documents. Students are required to meet with their supervisors at the onset of their program to discuss roles, responsibilities, and expectations of both student and supervisor. More information can be found on the Supervision page.

11. Other Guides

  • Student Handbook: This document was prepared to act as a guide to new students in Biomedical Engineering. It contains information about the various programs offered by the Department as well as a few facts about some of the facilities, services and activities available within the University. It also includes an introductory section which tells new students what they need to know in order to successfully negotiate their first few days at UBC.
  • Graduate Studies Grad Guide: This guide, prepared by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, is full of information about all the support services available to graduate students at UBC. It covers registration, finances, housing, grad student rights and responsibilities, medical and dental plans, and much more.